Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Don't drink the Kool Aid

Photobucket


The other day, my bloggy friend Darcy wrote a post and talked about church shopping. She's going to be doing some looking around for a new church home, but isn't too thrilled about the prospect. Have you done any church shopping? It's just not fun. I've been there and I know.

Back when we lived in California, we were trying to find a new church home. We went to a few different churches, but none of them seemed to be a fit for us. But we kept on trying.

Until one Sunday anyway.

That particular Sunday we went to a church that one of our neighbor families went to. They seemed pretty normal, so what could go wrong?

Plenty.

The service started out in a normal fashion. There was worship music, announcements and such. But then the pastor came out to give the sermon... The topic? "Prepare to die well."

Um, what?

Yeah. We sat there and wondered what we had gotten ourselves into.

But it didn't end there.

After the sermon, the pastor announced that they would be having communion. My husband and I looked at each other wide-eyed and I said, "Don't drink the Kool Aid!" Let me tell ya, we high-tailed it out of there right away.

After that, we decided that our old church wasn't so bad...

Now how about joining in over at my blog carnival, Life is Funny? It's completely Kool Aid-free.

7 comments:

Tiffany S said...

Oooo... that totally reminds me of something. When we lived in New Hampshire, we decided to try out a new church. It was in this cool building (new) designed to look like an old white church, complete with a steeple and everything. It was labeled as some sort of generic "community" church (which I'm not knocking by the way - but it meant we really didn't know what to expect). Well, I think things started out well, but then they decided to have a good old-fashioned southern-style healin'. And, yes, I do mean that people were getting smacked in the head and falling down while the preacher yelled, "You are HEALED!". I suppose this is quite normal to some, but I grew up in a pretty conservative, traditional (i.e. - boring) church. My husband really has never gone to church much. (He was afraid they were going to start handling snakes at any moment.) He wanted to leave, but I said, "No! We'll draw attention to ourselves!" I stuck it out, but we never went back. I've been to a LOT of different churches in my time and enjoyed most of them, but that one was WAY beyond me!

Such The Spot said...

I'm seriously LMAO right now. I think Jeff and I have a new inside joke as we go about our "shopping"

Helen said...

Hmmm...I think it is an appropriate sermon topic, yet an unfortunate one when there are visitors. :-)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Haha! Too funny!

(I dare you to try to make an alien pancake.)

katdish said...

A little over a year ago, I could NEVER imagine leaving my church home. Now, I know that my little church plant family is exactly where I'm supposed to be. I have been so blessed by that. Thanks for reminding me how forturnate I am.

Billy Coffey said...

Yowza!

Yeah, I would've been right behind you.

The Fat Dietitian said...

Oh my... I am a fan of uplifting messages like "jesus loves you," "love thy neighbor," etc etc. Kool aid is never good! :)