Friday, November 21, 2008

Out of the mouths, or crayons, of babes...

It's that time of year again... The time when parents are embarrassed by the things that come out at parent/teacher conferences. Isn't it mortifying cute how children perceive things?

So my husband and I went to our conference today and got to hear about how lovely our daughter is. Things were going well until the reading journal came out. In this journal, they are to take a story that they've just heard and relate the situation in it to something in their own lives. Good for comprehension, huh? Anyway, one of the stories was about a character who was very sad because he was always left out of the fun things that everyone else was doing. How, one might ask, did my daughter relate this to her own life? Was it by telling about the time that her friends wouldn't let her play with them? No. She wrote about how it made her so sad that Mommy and Daddy wouldn't let her play the dice game with them. And to make things more interesting, she drew a picture to go with it:


Notice the big smiles on Mommy and Daddy's faces, and the big boo-boo face my daughter is wearing. All she needs to do now is to draw horns on us and add a soundtrack of evil, maniacal laughter. Yes, we are just mean parents who won't let our daughter do anything that resembles fun.

I guess it could be worse. When my parents went to back to school night, they were greeted by a picture of my creation 0n the wall describing what I help my mommy and daddy to do at home. There, in all its glory, was a picture of my dad and me with big smiles on our faces while my dad pointed a gun at a cat's head. It said, "I help my daddy shoot cats." Ah, good times...

No comments: