Monday, February 6, 2012

Life is Funny - Look! A Pirate!

Photobucket


I know.  It's been a long time since I've written a Life is Funny post.  I guess my life just hasn't been all that entertaining lately.  But this weekend, I had a "why doesn't this happen to anyone else" kind of experience.


I became a pirate for a day.

Okay, that's not what brings up the whole "why" question.  I'm sure lots of people become pirates for a day.  My story starts at how it happened. 

PEANUT!!! Pictures, Images and Photos
The offender 

Oh sure.  It looks all innocent.  And no, I'm not allergic to peanuts.  I was just sitting there, minding my own business, shelling and eating peanuts.  That's when it happened.  The peanut attacked.  As I cracked a shell, a piece of it came flying at me and went straight for my eye.  Who knew peanut shells had such good aim?  But it managed to lodge itself in my eye nicely.  Try as I might, it didn't seem to want to come out.  So off to the urgent care I went.

Apparently, peanut shell attacks are not all that common.  No one at the urgent care had ever heard of it.  And my telling of the story brought stunned silence followed by giggles.  And yes, even the doctor, who looked to be in his mid-70's, was not immune to the giggling. Yeah.  I'm a medical oddity.

Turns out I scratched the heck out of my eye.  And that, dear friends, is what led me to piracy.  I got to wear a giant eye patch until this morning. 
Photobucket

My ever supportive family felt the need to point and laugh at me all day.  There were mentions of me needing a hat and a parrot.  I should have made them walk the plank. 

Will this stop me from eating peanuts in the future?  Nope.  But next time, I'll be more prepared...
Safety goggles Pictures, Images and Photos

2 comments:

Helen said...

If I only knew, I could have made this so much easier for you by sending you the proper pirate accessories. Funny hat. check. Stuffed parrot. check. Toy sword. check.

Unknown said...

Stuff like this is always funny when it happens to someone else. :D