Monday, June 7, 2010

Life is Funny - That's a strange souvenir

Photobucket

Way back when I was in 6th grade, my family went on a cruise to the Caribbean. Imagine my surprise when Julie McCoy and Gopher were nowhere to be seen. What was up with that? Anyway, it was our first cruise and it was lovely.

One of the activities that they offered at the different ports was snorkeling. You could rent your gear on the boat and they even gave you a snazzy t-shirt to go along with it that said "Dive In" on the back. That being the decided upon activity, my parents grabbed their gear and we were on our way.

Something I should point out here, that my mom is fair skinned. Very fair skinned. And it's awfully sunny and hot in the Caribbean. So she did what we pale folks often do and wore her t-shirt into the water to try to block out as much sun as possible. So we spent a lovely day on the beach.

Did you know that you can get sunburned through fabric? Yeah. My mom found that out the hard way. But wait! There's more. The t-shirt that she got sunburned through? It was the "Dive In" shirt she had gotten earlier. Only the lettering on the shirt was able to block the sun. So when my mom took the t-shirt off, on her very red back were the white words "Dive In." Nice. I wish we had pictures of that...

So, do you want to join in? Sign up below with Mr. Linky and don't forget to link back to here. It's the right thing to do.


3 comments:

jasonS said...

'Dive in' is much better than it could have been! I feel her pain. I'm the exact same way...

♥ Kathy said...

How funny! Back in 1980 I had a bathing suit with a cutout of the playboy bunny on it lol when I'd get tan the bunny stayed white on my skin. I'm lucky and don't burn except the first time I go out in the summer.

Duane Scott said...

Blame Helen. That's all I got to say about my link.